Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Gaslight Anthem, An American Rock Band



Have you ever found a band that is just amazing, but you really can’t explain why? A band that has something about them but, you’re really not sure what that something is? Well The Gaslight Anthem is that band. I have been a fan of TheGaslight Anthem for over 2 years now and I can honestly say I can’t get enough of them.
            What type of band is The Gaslight Anthem? What do they sound like? Well The Gaslight Anthem sounds like Bruce Springsteen, and Miles Davis got together with the drummer from the Cure and started recording songs by The Clash, the Bouncing Souls and the Replacements and had Bob Seger, Tom Petty, John Lee Hooker, Alkaline Trio, Otis Redding, Muddy Waters and Johnny Cash all make guest appearances on the album and Charles Dickens wrote the songs . Everything from Punk Rock, to Soul, to Jazz, to Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty has influenced The Gaslight Anthems sound.
            When it comes to The Gaslight Anthem’s songs, they are very lyrically based, when you listen to them you have to listen to everything that is said in the songs. The reason for this is all of The Gaslight Anthems songs tell a story, and paint a picture of a different era kind of like a Springsteen song or a Bob Seger song. The stories that The Gaslight Anthem tells range from Hard Luck, Love, Good Times and Nostalgia for things such as Cruising at night and hanging out at drive in’s, dreaming about making it big, racing in our Hot Rods and Muscle cars around Asbery Park and remembering all of the other good times.
            Relating to this one thing I really have to praise The Gaslight Anthem is for making my Generation (the current Generation) feel Nostalgic for things we never have experienced like what I mentioned aboved. When I listen to there song Old Haunts I think about places in Town an Old Diner or Driven in use to be that people would cruise, or when I listen to High Lonesome I think about some lost love I never even had!
            Getting back to the Story telling and the Imagery, one of the songs I have to praise the band for is there song Great Expectations. When I hear the song I from the opening riffs I start to picture an old style place, but I can’t quite picture it, and after the First verse I picture a Diner full of Hot Rods and Classic cars with Bruce Springsteen’s Character Mary and Pip from Charles Dickens Great Expectations on a date thinking about the good times while listening to Bob Seger! Another great song with Imagery is there song the Spirit of Jazz which I picture a married couple through the years from the 40s when they were married till now, all old with Grandkids but still together.
            I like The Gaslight Anthem so much that I can probably Literally write articles about each song and how I picture them, but I’ll leave that up to you to deiced. Another thing you may notice about The Gaslight Anthem is there name and song tittles. There name its self just says nostalgia! The Gaslight Anthem, it makes me picture an old North Jersey Style Home built in the early 40s with a big porch at night, with the Gaslight Light and a Blues guitarist (I picture John Lee Hooker) sitting on the porch strumming his guitar.  Just everything about the Band has Imagery!
            If you are a Fan of 70s Rock, 60s Rock, 50s Blues and Soul, Swing, Cool Jazz, Punk, or Rockabilly this band is for you! If you are a Fan of Bob Seger, the Clash, Joe Strummer, the Replacements, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Otis Redding, the Bouncing Souls or John Lee Hooker this band is for you! The Gaslight Anthem is great for when you want something to cruise to, or if you want something straight forward yet deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment